Tuesday, November 6, 2012

the many uses of an Original Memory Game







A beloved history teacher used to tell us “the more things change, the more they stay the same.”  And this is probably true with the field of Speech-Language Pathology in some respects… but the atmosphere is changing… we’ve got more kids to serve than ever before… we’ve got more regulations than ever before… and we’ve got a new generation of kids with unique challenges facing them.  So we’ve got to get creative in how we serve our kids.  And that’s the reason for my starting this blog- I need a place to organize and document my ideas so I don’t get bogged down under all the pressures!  But we can do this, right?!  For we are Speech-Language Pathologists!!



The Memory Game is a classic game with endless possibilities in Speech Therapy.  When I played this game with one of my groups today, I found myself going through the following language areas:

  • vocabulary naming
  • naming functions of objects
  • Naming categories and items in a category
  • Naming similarities and differences of the pictures that each child flipped over during a turn
  • Naming attributes of the pictures
  • Turn-taking & social language 
  • Even articulation skills!  And fluency skills!
I felt so smart!  What a discovery!  Happy Speech Therapy, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment