Monday, December 4, 2017

stuttering

for some SLP's stuttering is not a favorite area... but I LOVE to work with kiddos who stutter.

And here's why: I get to do one of my favorite things during activities to target stuttering-
SING

yep, SING

I get my kiddos to SING during speech therapy.

Guess what we sang ALL SPRING LONG?

Yep, the Frozen catalog.

Pulled up the videos on the internet.  Sang Let It Go until the bell rang.

During the early days of dysfluency treatments, I also pull up the Metronome Online website: [http://www.metronomeonline.com/]
With this website, I pull out some action flash cards, set the tempo low and demonstrate saying one word per beat.  With readers, you can write the words out.  With non-readers, you can clap for each beat/word to be said.  Of course, this isn't the desirable end-goal to have a person speak so rigidly, but this is a great way to demonstrate "bumpy" versus "smooth" speech as well as give the child some success in speaking fluently.  You can also set the words of the sentence to a little tune to promote on-going phonation.  This helps alleviate tension and anxiety for producing "smooth" speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment